How is it possible that this year is almost over? Did it seem to fly by for you too? This was the first year I managed to keep track of my reading (for the most part) through Goodreads --and I am glad I did, as it makes it easier to look back on my reading year.
I read some truly amazing books this year, so it was difficult to narrow down my top favorites. I decided to limit most of my reading picks to books which were published this year. I rated all of these with 4 or 5 stars (out of 5). So without further ado, here are my five favorite books of 2018!
1. Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield. Genres: Historical Fiction, Magical Realism. Publication date: December 4, 2018. Atria Books.
This exquisite book wasn't published until December 4, 2018, but I was lucky to receive a free galley from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. It may very well become one of my favorite books of all time. My review can be found here.
2. Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang. Genre: Magical Realism. Publication date: November 14, 2017. St. Martin's Press.
Magical Realism is by far my favorite genre to read and write, but that being said I find it is rather hit or miss. I was pleasantly surprised by this fantastic book. The characters stayed with me long after I read the last page. My review can be found on Goodreads.
3. The Rain Watcher by Tatiana de Rosnay. Publication date: October 30, 2018. St. Martin's Press. Genre: Historical Fiction, Literary Fiction. This book was gifted to me by the publishers via NetGalley. The writing was eloquent and hauntingly beautiful. I honestly can't wait to read another book by this author. My review can be found here: the-rain-watcher.html
4. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. Publication date: February 8, 2018. Raven Books. Genre: Mystery, Crime, Thriller.
This was a brilliant book! It was a fresh and unique mystery. It's almost like a more sinister version of the film Groundhog Day. This was another book I was grateful to receive from the publishers in exchange for an honest review. My review can be found here: www.goodreads.com/review/show/2521218878?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1
5. Circe by Madeline Miller. Publication date: April 10, 2018. Little, Brown and Company. Genre: Fantasy, Retelling, Historical Fiction, Mythology. I know I am not alone in listing this as one of the top books of 2018. This book is phenomenal! Review here: book-review-circe-by-madeline-miller.html
Tell me, what were your top five books of the year?
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies
Caitlin Gemmell operates the https://www.caitlingemmell.com website, which provides the SERVICE.
This page is used to inform website visitors regarding our policies with the collection, use, and disclosure of Personal Information if anyone decided to use our Service, the Enchanted Simplicity website.
Information Collection and Use
For a better experience while using our Service, we may require you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information, including but not limited to your name, phone number, and postal address. The information that we collect will be used to contact or identify you.
We want to inform you that whenever you visit our Service, we collect information that your browser sends to us that is called Log Data. This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser version, pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, and other statistics.
Cookies are files with small amount of data that is commonly used an anonymous unique identifier. These are sent to your browser from the website that you visit and are stored on your computer’s hard drive.
Our website uses these "cookies" to collection information and to improve our Service. You have the option to either accept or refuse these cookies, and know when a cookie is being sent to your computer. If you choose to refuse our cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
We may employ third-party companies and individuals due to the following reasons:
- To facilitate our Service;
- To provide the Service on our behalf;
- To perform Service-related services; or
- To assist us in analyzing how our Service is used.
We want to inform our Service users that these third parties have access to your Personal Information. The reason is to perform the tasks assigned to them on our behalf. However, they are obligated not to disclose or use the information for any other purpose.
We value your trust in providing us your Personal Information, thus we are striving to use commercially acceptable means of protecting it. But remember that no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure and reliable, and we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Links to Other Sites
Our Services do not address anyone under the age of 13. We do not knowingly collect personal identifiable information from children under 13. In the case we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete this from our servers. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us so that we will be able to do necessary actions.